If they have more “Grey Hair” Listen!
July 5, 2012
Sage words of advice given to me over the years:
- “Don’t rush on kids, once you have them your lifestyle will change dramatically.”
- “Buy land.”
- “Business is cyclical, things you cannot control will impact your business.”
- “You are not invincible!”
- “Watch interest rates, economies hinge on them.”
- “Happiness and health are the only things that matter in life.”
- “You will lose money on new hires in the first year.”
- “The bank will loan you money when you don’t need it and run the other way when you need it.”
- “Watch what you say, words will come back to haunt you. Be nice.”
- “Beware, the race to the bottom.”
It happens all the time, someone with more experience, success or “grey hair” offers you a little nugget. It is easy to blow off the advice and feign listening. I have certainly done it and felt the consequences.
The thing is, more often than not, the advice is sound. Taking the time to listen, ask a few questions and truly understand is a good idea. Or choose not to listen and feel the pain later. Either way, you learn, but in my experience listening hurts less.
Just a small piece of advice from someone who is starting to show a little grey.